Tuesday, June 23, 2009

G-tubes and horseback riding

I love horseback riding and once I was over my intestinal flu and felt a bit stronger again I decided that it was high time to get back on Mo (the horse I always get to ride). I was a bit apprehensive at first because I wasn't quite sure if the g-tube site would hurt during horseback riding (I don't have a balloon type g-tube, but one with an internal and external fixation device - which means that any type of activity that my stomach muscles are involved I can feel the inner and outer fixation device pull on my skin and stomach). Horseback riding itself went really well, didn't hurt whatsoever. But, when I was ready to dismount Mo I did what I always do, lean forwards onto the saddle and swing my right leg over Mo's back. Well, just imagine leaning forwards onto a very hard saddle full force forgetting that you have a g-tube with an internal and external fixation device! To say it hurt is an understatement. But I am used to some pain inside my stomach from the internal fixation device, so I didn't really think anything was wrong until I changed my dressing later and noticed that I had bled through - there were not cuts on my skin, so obviously I must have hurt my stomach walls and leaked blood through the stoma. F...k! I changed my dressing, went to bed, still some blood in the morning, but a lot better. I did write an e-mail to Prof. H just in case and he said as long as it is not overly hurting and it stops leaking through bloody within the next two days all is well. Now, two days later, it is a lot better now, but it is still hurting a bit. Therefore I have decided not to go horseback riding again this weekend. I am due to get the button next week and it has a balloon inside instead of the internal fixation device - hopefully that will feel better during sports.

No comments: