Wednesday, July 1, 2009

All buttoned up now

The mic-key button is in. I have not been allowed to use it yet. Even though Prof. H told me before he put me under that I could eat and use the button right away since the stoma tract is already healed, the nurse told me afterwards that I was instructed not to use it until tomorrow morning. I did get something to eat however and received a liter of iv glucose.

I am in a bit of a dilemma though. I brought mic-key buttons in four different sizes with me (the hospital doesn't have them in stock) ranging from 1.5 cm to 2.5 cm in stoma lenght. I know my Doc used the stoma measuring device and I woke up with a 2.5 cm button in place. Still I feel that it sits very tight. The button makes a real dent into my belly. I wonder if he would have used a 3 cm button if he had one that size? I just don't want to run around with a button too tight for me. Plus I was NPO for the endoscopy and once I start eating my belly gets a lot bigger and now after dinner the button sits even tighter. I am really frustrated! I know I want to ask Prof H about it tomorrow but at the same time I don't want to question his expertise. I have tried to find pics on the internet from kids with mic-key buttons and it does appear that mine sits quite tightly.

No comments: