Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Wearing a white coat

I have been doing my psychology internship for a little over a week now and I am still loving it. It makes me feel alive and happy. This is what I have worked so hard for in the past few years.

I have started to see my first rehab patient, and my supervisor actually totally trusts in my abilities and has let me treat her all by myself today and yesterday. I am working on concentration, attention, and memory with her.

Psychologists, here in Austria, get to wear white coats just like doctors. Yesterday my colleague, who is doing his internship in clinical psychology there, asked me how it felt to wear a white coat.

I have to admit, it feels good. I feel respected, looked-up to, and really grown-up. Given my history I have had my share of psychologists in white coat, and I can't believe that I am on the "other side" now. I am the one in the white coat now, who walks into a patient's room and picks them up for treatment or psych testing.

But there is one more advantage of wearing a white coat: I have three pockets to stuff with - snacks, meds, tissues, lip balm, etc. and that's perfect for me, especially being able to always carry small snacks with me! I even sometimes put my Starbuck's mug into one of my pockets :-)

No comments: