Wednesday, March 31, 2010

After effects of the stomach flu

I am 12 days post stomach-flu, but my stomach is just not kicking back into my normal emptying mode. I have put myself back on domperidone, but things are not going so well. Lots of nausea and no appetite.
My dietician explained to me that a prolonged recovery period from intestinal flus is normal for people with delayed gastric emptying due to the increased inflammation. I just don't know how long it will take :-(. I am having a hard time taking in enough calories right now. Especially as my dietician has recently switched me over to a normocaloric tube feeding formula. I am doing well with my nightly tube feedings, but I am having a really hard time getting enough food into me orally during the day. I am always hungry for breakfast and breakfast usually works well, but that's about it.
I know what amounts I was able to eat before my stomach flu and I am trying to push myself to get there again. I am feeling the lack of energy and hope it will get better soon. Otherwise I will have to add day-time tubefeeds again, and I am really trying to avoid that!

No comments: