Friday, June 4, 2010

It's the little things in life that make a difference

As you all know I have been studying very hard in the past months, not doing a whole lot other than studying.

Yesterday, a dear friend of mine called me to tell me that she was in hospital and had just had surgery the night before for an ovarian pregnancy. This friend has been trying to get pregnant for at least three years and longing to be a Mom for a very long time. I can only imagine how hard it is for her knowing that she finally did get pregnant but could not carry the pregnancy. She knew that I was studying lots and did not ask me to visit her, but of course I told her I would come by knowing that this is a time that she needs me to be there for her, and I promised her to visit tonight.

This morning (while studying - don't you love those distracting thoughts) I thought about what I could do for her that would make her feel a bit better, at least for a few hours. This is what I did: I packed my blow dryer, some hand lotion, foot lotion, and my nail polish. When I walked into her hospital room tonight, I told her that I will have a "make you feel good time" and unpacked all my goodies. First I washed her hair for her, something that she was really grateful for, as she had not been able to shower since Tuesday, then I put my best foam mousse for curly hair into her hair and blow dried it all nice and curly. I then had her lie down on her bed, put her feet onto my lap and gave her foot rub, finished off by polishing her toe nails. I then moved up to her hands and did the same with her hands. She visibly relaxed and enjoyed being treated to some girly time.

I know that it meant a lot to her that I came by and did what girlfriends do - be there for each other. And you know what? It meant so much to me too. Being able to find something to do during a tough time for her that will make her feel a bit better. I have had so much trouble sleeping in the past weeks, but I know that I will sleep well tonight.

No comments: