Saturday, June 12, 2010

What an adventure!

After a week of relentless heat, it finally started to cloud over tonight. Even though storm and thunderstorm warnings were given out for almost all of Austria, there were no warnings for Vienna. I therefore forced M off the couch to come out nordic walking with me. We live really close to a big park with meadows and forests and beautiful paths to go nordic walking or running.

When we left, there were some dark clouds, but rather far away. Halfway through our walk, we were in the middle of the forest, when all out of sudden a really strong wind came up. A minute later it was storming really badly, branches were being snapped off the trees. It was quite scary, as we were in the middle of the forest. M and I knew it was time to start running to get us out off the forest as quickly as possible. Now I am a really strong nordic-walker, but my running is awful, I always start hurting right away. Still I knew I had to run. Once we were out on the meadows the wind was even stronger, blowing the sand from the pathways and the lovely grass pollen into our eyes. M kept looking at the clouds, telling me, 10 more minutes till showdown honey. We kept running, finally out of the park, through the streets of Vienna, while lightning and thunder came closer and closer. It then started to rain lightly until the exact moment we were back in the appartment, when the rain started to come down really heavy. Thank god we were back home.

2 comments:

Natiebar said...

Being out there is scary but... I LOVE STORMS!

Tube Girl said...

Me too - always reminds me of Victoria (Vancouver Island) - that's where I lived for 2.5 years - got treated for my ED there. Famous for its fall and winter storms...