Saturday, August 14, 2010

A night to remember!

Yesterday was my stagette. Now I am not one for crazy, over the top, alcohol filled stagettes, and my girlfriends respected my wishes, and so we celebrated at Donata's house out in the country. Because Donata has the twins, and she can't very easily pass them off on some-one else, us girls drove out to her place. We already met at 3 PM, knowing that we wouldn't be able to celebrate that far into the night because we still had to drive back to Vienna. Cathi rode with me, and Iris drove out in her car.

At first, we just sat in the garden, played with the twins, and talked. Roland, Donata's boyfriend, was there too, he was taking care of the kids and also he barbecued for us. It was a perfect late afternoon to barbecue and Roland did a wonderful job with the barbecued goods. I was a good girl and pureed my chicken, so I wouldn't get sick again.

After dinner, Cathi asked me if I wanted to go for a little walk. Of course, I said yes, knowing that probably Iris and Donata had some stagette stuff planned for me and probably wanted to prepare that. And I am never one to say no to a walk after a meal, always helps with my digestion.

When we came back, we all sat together outside on the terrace and just chatted, and I really thought that I was wrong, that the girls hadn't had anything planned for me after all, when Donata started to say that this was a stagette and they of course I had to prove that I was ready for marriage.

First, I had to tie a tie - first a simple knot. The funny thing was that Donata had to use Roland's only tie - a late 80ies black fake leather tie! I did have some troubles in the beginning, when the narrow end of the tie ended up being on top of the broad end at the end of my simple tie. And I really had some troubles trying to tie a windsor knot. Thank god, they had printed out some instructions for me. But even with the instructions I still did not do that well. The girls timed me and we had lots of fun.

My second task was to undress a baby doll (that Donata had dressed up in lots of clothes), change the diaper and dress it up again - left-handed. While I tried to undress the doll, the mosquitoes started to become really obnoxious. Donata had mercy with me and had me take a break after I had undressed the doll, we moved all the stuff into the kitchen, where I got to dress up the doll again - at least, I was able to concentrate more without the mosquitoes. The girls were laughing hard, as I was not very gentle with the doll - how could I - only using one hand.

For my third task they asked me questions about cooking and house-keeping. I really surprised them though, knowing so much about cooking. I guess it helps going to a high school with a vocational focus - one part being culinary arts.

For my last task they had me iron a long-sleeved shirt - left-handed again! It took me almost 10 minutes, but I did quite well at ironing left-handed, I have to say.

In the end the girls surprised me with a housewife diploma!

At 10 PM it started to rain very hard with lots of thunder and lightning. But we were having so much fun that we didn't realize how severe the thunderstorm was. At quarter after eleven the girls and I decided that we should hit the road, as Cathi still had to catch the last subway. Iris asked to drive right behind us, as I know the drive quite well back into Vienna. Donata reminded us to drive slowly with the roads being so wet. And so we drove carefully through the countryside, it was quite spooky when suddenly the sky was lit up through lightning.
I was very relieved when we finally were close to the highway, knowing that the roads would be a lot better there. Just as I wanted to drive onto the highway and was already on the turning lane, when I realized that a police car was blocking the lane to Vienna. I could not do anything else but drive onto the highway into the opposite direction - with poor Iris in tow. Fortunately I knew that the next exit off the highway was not very far away. So we left the highway at the next exit and I tried to find my way back to Schwechat knowing that I could drive through Schwechat and take the rural road into Vienna. Unfortunately, I got caught up in a rotary and took the wrong turn again, driving onto the highway again - this time in the right direction, but when I saw the car before me stop and starting to reverse I realized that none of the cars on the highway were moving - big, big traffic jam. I motioned Iris behind me to reverse back into the rotary and so we tried finding the way into Schwechat. Cathi phoned Iris to tell her how I wanted to drive to Vienna, and Iris told us that she really had to find a gas station, as she was running out of gas quickly. It was really dark outside, raining very hard, a bit foggy, and we were completely lost. I should have never left my navigation device at home!

Iris did find a gas station, and I phoned Donata for help. Thank god, she was not asleep yet. Donata managed to direct us onto the right road and reminded me that all I had to do was drive straight from now on, until I was in Schwechat, take a left turn at the market place and then I was at the Simmeringer street - a road that would lead me right into the third district in Vienna - my district - where I know my way around again. You have no idea how happy I was when we finally were on Simmeringer street! I kept telling Cathi that we would be home soon! When suddenly the cars before us stopped and started to reverse again. Another road block!!! That's when I really started to get a bit worried. We were already in Vienna, but in outer part of the 11th district, where I don't know my way around at all. So we turned around again, and at the next intersection I saw a sign for "Schloss Neugebäude" (a castle). I remembered that I had seen a sign for this castle once close to our new apartment - which is in the 11th district as well. I decided to turn there and follow the signs. That was the way to do! I followed the road, took another turn and ended up on Kaiserebersdorfer street - I was so happy, as I know that street to be really close to our new apartment. From that on it only took another couple minutes until we were back on Simmeringer street - past the road block - and back in my territory! Cathi then got into Iris' car, as Iris actually lives quite close to Cathi and the last subway had already left. I was so happy when I turned onto my home street, found a parking spot, ran through the rain through our house and was back home! Of course, I had to wake up M and tell him all about my adventure!!!! (It was way past midnight!)

This morning I was really surprised when I read on the news that the thunderstorm had been so bad that the airport in Schwechat (where I was driving) had to be closed for an hour, the public transport in Vienna was stopped for half an hour as well, as they had deemed it not safe. Now I really knew how bad the thunderstorm really was we were driving in, and I was really glad that we all got home safe.

What an adventure!!!!

No comments: