Friday, September 24, 2010

Using scissors to cut mats out of your cat's fur - not a good idea :-(

I have to admit.

I did it again.

I am a repeat offender.

Three and a half years ago our cat Aimee had "kitty crap" stuck to her butt hair (oh the joys of long-haired cats) and in my attempt to cut away the soiled and dried in fur I managed to cut away a tiny piece of skin just above her anus. Unfortunately this tiny piece of skin managed to open up to a one-euro-coin big hole. And of course little Aimee needed to be sedated and a couple stitches.

I was told to not ever use scissors on my cat again.

Well, as it happens, Aimee is my cat with a vet trauma (that's a story for a kitty blog post on some other day). And my cat who hates to be brushed (unless of course she can sit in the bath tub). And my cat whose fur is so frizzy that she gets mats easily.

And of course I have been using scissors on her.
Repeatedly.

And then it happened again. She had some really big mats on her hips and I honestly thought that I needed to take her to the vets for a clipping if I could not get the mats out myself. Just the thought of Aimee at the vets and her post-vet spitting and hissing that usually lasts a week, made me grab the scissors.

And yes I cut her again. Bad, bad catmother. To top it off, I didn't see it right away. No, I did not notice it until yesterday. Of course we took her to the vet immediately. Poor little Aimee had to be sedated, the edges of the wound had to be recut and now my little girl has five stitches!

She was groggy all night and hissing at me all day long. Although I did get a couple cheek bites and kisses after all.

This is my little girl sleeping off her sedation:


And here a close-up of my "work" - not for the faint of heart:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ONCE SHOULD HAVE BEEN ENOUGH. YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE GONE FOR TWICE. BUT YOU PROBABLY HAVE LEARNED A LESSON I HOPE.

SURE YOU DIDN'T MEAN TO HURT YOUR CAT BUT PLEASE DON'T DO THAT AGAIN.

Anonymous said...

Well, I have a long-haired cat who hates to be brushed (figures) and I cut the mats off my cat with scissors too. I use a flea comb between the mat and kitty's skin to protect her skin.
I wedge the comb under the mat, and then cut above the comb, so the scissors cannot possibly cut her skin.

Tube Girl said...

Hi!
Thanks so much for the wonderful idea!!!! I will definitely have to get a flea comb!
Julia