Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Another worry dealt with

With starting to work at the hospital I also got assigned to a different insurance company again. This insurance company is known to be really restricted in what they are paying for. It already was a good sign that they improved my zofran odt without needing further prompting from one of my docs.

But I was still really worried about my Mic-key extension sets. This insurance company only pays for pumps, formula, and feeding bags from one enteral food company, Fresenius Kabi. Luckily, I already use the right pump, food and bags. And they usually only pay for the button extension sets of Fresenius' own button. They might still be compatible with the Mic-key button, but unfortunately their quality is supposed to be poor. This would mean that I would have to pay 90 Euros a month to buy my own Mic-key extension sets.

I sent an e-mail to the woman responsible for enteral nutrition at my new insurance company telling her that I only needed one pack with five extension sets a month. I had heard that they were willing to pay for 30 Fresenius extension sets. For some reason I could not imagine that five Mic-key extension sets would really be that much more expensive. And I was right!
I talked to her on the phone today, and they are willing to pay for my extension sets if I only need one pack a month!

This made me soooo happy! I used to be able to get three weeks out of one Mic-key extension set, but the formula I am on now makes them go stiff really quickly. One week usually is my limit before I have to replace the extension set. 5 pieces a month will make life very easy for me!

No comments: