Monday, December 6, 2010

Plan B

I have a really hard time not worrying about my j-tube retroflexing back up into my stomach.
After I had it replaced the first time, I was really able to let go of my fear of having it migrate.
And then it happened again, and now I can't stop worrying. I worry because I don't know if and when it will happen again, and if I will have to wait for a few days or more without being able to feed into my jejunum.

I worry because I don't have a replacement tube, and if it happens again, I will either have to have the current tube re-placed again or already have a plan B in place.

I worry because I know that having it migrate again means that I am not a good candidate for a "through the stomach" j-tube.


And now I am trying to have a plan B put in place, something to fall back onto if this doesn't work.

Plan B is a direct PEJ (percutaneous endoscopic jejunostomy). And actually when you take into account that I want to get pregnant sometime next year, a PEJ is a really good plan. I asked Dr. T. last week about getting my tubes changed in interventional radiology while during pregnancy. He told me during the first 14 weeks tubes can't be changed in interventional radiology. At the same time my GI-doc told me he can't change my tubes during pregnancy either, as there is no way he can give that much propofol to a pregnant woman. In my opinion a gj-tube therefore is not a good option, you never know how pregnancy and an expanding uterus will have an effect on a tube retroflexing into the stomach.

No comments: