Tuesday, May 3, 2011

I am listening

I always try to spend enough time with my patients to get their history and a feeling for their situation when they get referred to me for neuropsych testing. It's not always that easy when we have lots of referrals from our two wards and maybe outpatients as well. But today we had a slow morning, and I was really able to take my time while talking to my patient, an 81-year-old man, admitted for dizzyness. He told me about his very difficult relationship with his ex-wife, and he kept asking me "Can I really tell you all of that?" And I kept saying "Yes, of course, that's what I am there for."
He seemed so relieved that I was really listening to him.
Being able to pay attention to his needs and give him what a needed - a good listener and objective opinion - made my day!

No comments: