Friday, June 17, 2011

Family functions and tube feeding

I am a self-confident tube feeder in public and in my social circle. But family functions are still a bit iffy for me. I can actually deal with it, it's more my immediate family that sometimes has a hard time with it. A few months ago I was supposed to go with my Mum and Stepdad to spend time with his parents and siblings. My Mum told me beforehand that she didn't want me to say anything about being tubefed (even though I would have worn my waist pack with feeding tube stuff).

Tomorrow is my cousin's confirmation, and I am her confirmation sponsor. I took the train home after work today. When I arrived at my parents' house, it happened to be time to re-fill my formula. My Mum looked at me and asked how I was going to do that tomorrow. At first I didn't know what she meant, turns out my cousin was deeply disturbed by the fact that I have a "hole" in my stomach and use a feeding tube when she spent a couple days with me in Vienna at the end of February this year. My Mum does not want me to top-up my formula bag in front of her and the rest of the family tomorrow. Don't get me wrong, my Mum supports my tube feeding, but I guess I have more experience with feeding in public and being self-confident and not caring about what other people think when they see me handling my tube.

Take today for example, got on the train this afternoon, sat down took out my formula and refilled my bag in front of all the other passengers in my part of the train. I simply don't care.

No comments: