Saturday, August 13, 2011

Tube countdown

I have had this current PEG/J for 7.5 months now, a long time considering the fact that my J-line is 3 feet long. I have only had a few problems with my tube clogging up in the first six months thanks to my very creative way of flushing my tube (with the plunger against the wall and pushing with all of my strength against it). I also treated my tube to a liquid vitamin c treatment once a week.

For the past two weeks my tube has started to act up, clogging up throughout the day and of course during the night as well. So far I have always been able to de-clog it, but it is starting to get annoying. What makes things a bit stressful for me is that I have an appointment for a direct J-tube (or if it fails again a tube change) on Aug. 25th. It would be very very inconvenient for the tube to fail before Aug. 25th. My dietician managed to line up the top guy at the university hospital for putting j-tubes in. If my tube failed before that, I can't get in earlier.

During the day I always flush it once every 4.5 hours (sometimes even more often), but I never used to flush during the night in order to get a full nights sleep without being interrupted. I have decided that a working tube is definitely more important than sleeping through the night without having to get up, therefore I have started to set my alarm clock to 2 AM in the morning. This has been working well so far.

I am trying my best not to freak out and not to think through any "what if" scenarios. But every day when I get up in the morning I am happy that another day has passed and there is one more less day until tube day :-).

So yes, I am counting down the days - today is day 12!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Julia
you could flush the tube with some apple cider vinegar or lemon juice.
The acids will clear up the clog hopefully.