Friday, September 2, 2011

It's been a week and a day since my surgery, and I am very pleased with my progress. I have minimal pain when walking, starting to lose that "pregnant belly look", and am definitely feeling more like myself again.
I had some problems in the beginning with leakage, talked to my stoma nurse, and she advised me to start using ZCR-cream (a barrier cream) around the stoma right away to prevent irritations to the skin from the leakage. She also told me to start with Medihoney Antibacterial Honey and carefully dab it into the stoma tract using a Q-tip. It's been 48 hours with the Medihoney, and my stoma tract and stoma site is looking so much better, the leakage has significantly decreased and the stoma tract is tightening up. I have always been a big fan of Medihoney, but I did not expect to see changes that soon. It also makes me feel good because I know it will keep my stoma infection free - especially since I am working around so many nasty bugs and germs as long as it is still healing and bleeding every once in a while.

Had a bit of a pump drama last night. For some odd reason the motor of my pump started to misbehave last night when I wanted to hook back up after having my shower. The pump was really noisy, and you could hear that something was not right. Well, I thought, no problem, that's why I have a spare pump at home - fully charged and ready to go. This morning I felt ready to go back to work, was actually really looking forward to it. Arrived at the hospital bright and early at 7.30, chatted with my boss and our psychology student intern, did some reading and was ready to get my first patient when my pump started alarming at 9.45. But it wasn't its usual "there is a kink in the line somewhere" alarm, no it was the dreaded "low battery" alarm instead. I could not believe it! Usually a full charge gets me through more than 24 hours. I don't do well off my pump, and I knew that I definitely could not work until 4, then commute back home and go therefore go without my feedings until 6. My boss was very kind about it and told me to go home, thankfully it was a really slow day.

By 12.30 I was hooked up again, re-charging my pump, and because I had to stay connected to power for at least an hour I had the perfect excuse to have a nice early afternoon nap with the kitties :-).

M already got me two new replacement pumps. This time around though I will try out both pumps and see how long a full charge lasts me. Don't want to have a repeat of today again :-).


No comments: