Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A slightly different health update

If you have been reading my blog for a while, you will already know that I have the pleasure of sharing my life with three lovely feline ladies. Today I have a health update - not about me - but about Laura.

Laura is my senior kitty who is going to turn 20 in May. Laura used to have a brother - Romeo - but he died 6 years ago this June from chronic kidney failure. Immediately after his death, my husband and I, didn't want to get another cat, saying that surely Laura won't be living very much longer either and then we'll start with siblings again. But Laura didn't tolerate being alone after always being with her brother for 14 years and so we got Aimee to keep her company. Two years later we brought Aaliyah into our feline household as Aimee needed a younger cat to be active with, thinking that this was just going to be a temporary solution because surely Laura wouldn't live that much longer. That was three years ago ;-). So yes, Laura has outlived all our expectations by far.

Over the past few weeks I have noticed that she was drinking more water than usual. We therefore took her the vet to get a blood test. Yesterday I got the results back and my sweet old cat is in chronic kidney failure. I don't know what her life expectancy is, we won't really treat it - given her age.

But I really hope that she will hold on a little bit longer - I want her to have another summer on our balcony - basking in the sun light and enjoying the warm wind in her fur.

Laura aged 11

3 comments:

Rocci said...

I can really appreciate this blog post. For us, it's dogs, but there are quite a few similarities. We had two miniature Schauzers and one abruptly and for unknown reasons just died one night. We thought we'd just stay with the one, but then the other got lonely, and cranky, so we got another miniature Schauzer to keep her company. Now my daughter is living at home with her dog, a maltepoo.

I thought I would also take this opportunity to let you know that I am doing relatively well with my JTube. It is a constant appendage I wish I did not have but on the other hand it does keep me sucking oxygen and making a nusciance of myself.

Tube Girl said...

Hi Rocci!
Sounds like you have the canine version of my feline household ;-). Thanks so much for letting me know that you are doing well with your J-tube, I definitely love your positive attitude!
Julia

Leva Crow said...

supplemental SQ fluid for geriatric kitty. Makes them more comfortable,manages dehydration. Cheap- more like palliative care. I had a 20 yr old 1/2 Siamese boy that spent yrs 18-20 on SQ fluids and no other treatment. Thank you for sharing your GB story, I found it while looking for treatment for a toddler's chronically irritated GB stoma. ((hugs))Deb Neovivo