Saturday, August 4, 2012

August 4th 2012


LAURA
June 1992 - Aug. 4th 2012

Today we had to let Laura go. She went downhill very quickly over the past few days, stopped drinking and eating, had a very hard time moving around and could barely walk. This morning when she cried out in pain because I had moved her from one spot on the couch to the next, it became clear to us that the time had come. 
The vet was very kind and after examining her told us that she had lost most of the feeling in her legs and had painful spots along her spine probably due to intense inflamation. She certainly was in a lot of pain and even with intense veterinary and in-home treatment she would maybe live for 6-8 more weeks or even less. We have always promised her and ourselves that we would not prolong her suffering, still it was incredibly helpful for me to have M at my side who after listening to our options made the call "lets do it". I got to hold her in my arms and cuddle her while she fell asleep.

Laura was my faithful companion for the past 20 years, always at my side, helping me through many tough moments with her gentle love and feline compassion.

3 comments:

PurplePaw said...

Oh I feel sorry.
She was a very beautiful cat.
Greetings

Anonymous said...

She's beautiful. Letting go is so hard, but its the most kind and loving thing we can do sometimes. She was blessed to have you. Lynda xxx

Tube Girl said...

Hi Lynda!

Thanks for your words - I am so grateful that I was able to say goodbye to her and get to hold her while she fell asleep for the last time.

Julia